Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Synopsis- Part 1

My first attempt at synopsis writing has caused me to fail in a most civilized fashion.  If you can call a civilized fashion weeping and then diving into a Hershey's chocolate bar.  Okay, it was one of those 100 calorie packs and no weeping.  I was going for a dramatic entrance!  Did I mention some tag-a-long Girl Scout cookies.  Those were ARE so yummy (I swear I didn't eat the whole box).  Oh yes, synopsis writing.  By now you might know I google everything so it was instinct the google goddess led me to some sites.  Beth Anderson, Chicago crimewriter was very helpful!  It made it seem pretty straight foward.  I'm diving in going with her advice.


               Beth's tips                                                      to do list
Tip #1 Sum up your book in one sentence                               X Did that

Tip#2 Write one sentence describing your beginning                 X Did that

Tip#3 One sentence to sum up the ending                                X Did that

Tip #4 Escalating roadblocks                                                   Need to do

Tip #5 What your mc's want                                                    Need to do

Tip#6 What problem will mc's solve                                        Need to do

Tip#7  Good grammar                                                             DUH!

I hope you get a chance to check out Beth's site.  Darn it she makes sense!  I hope writing up the synopsis doesn't have to make me go back and do a rewrite.  Which leads me to my very own tip.  Hold on to your horses cowgirls!  To think I would give any advice.  Here it is!

Write the synopsis and query FIRST!!!

I am putting my foot down.  Quick, lift your foot so I don't stomp on toes! I am stopping my WIP until I take my own advice! 

This saga will be continued, stay tuned if you dare!

6 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, yes! I'm all over writing the query first. I don't know about the synop because I don't outline and often have no idea what's going to happen. But I could give it a try!

Kerri Cuev said...

I don't outline either! But I'm thinking just getting the main points in and characters motivation and such could save me revisions... hmmmm maybe. Let me know if it works for you Elana!

Unknown said...

Oh, I so hate the synopsis. The next story I'm writing I'm trying to outline mainly because it's from two perspectives and I need to know where I'm going.

lisa and laura said...

Ah, the dreaded synopsis. They are the bane of our existence.

Anonymous said...

But what happens if the story goes in another direction? Do you beat your characters into submission? That darned hero!! LOL.

Daisy Whitney said...

Synopses are hard! But they do help!