Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for Mexico to the Island of Dolls


Welcome to the A-Z challenge, where we'll be blogging our way through the alphabet throughout the month of  April. My theme will be places--it may be a specific place, a state, or a country. It will be whatever I think is spooky, beautiful, or intriguing. I'll be rating each stop on the way with those factors, with 5 being the highest score, and 1 being the lowest score. I hope it will inspire any writers, or travelers out there in Bloggerland. So, thanks for stopping by, and enjoy!

M = Mexico

Our tour stops have led us to unusual locations, but this location on our next stop is really over the top. Located in Mexico, south of Mexico City is the Island of Dolls, or in Spanish Isla De Las Munecas. As in the name, it literally is an island covered in dolls. They hang in just about in every tree, making you feel like you're being watched.

A hermit named Don Julian Santana Barrera, moved there. He said he was haunted by a ghost of a little girl who had drowned in a canal. He placed them around his home as a shrine to the little girl spirit. In 2001, his nephew found him dead in the same canal where the little girl was said to have drowned. Now this island is one of the weirdest tourist locations. People claim the dolls whisper to you.

I for one, wouldn't step foot here. This is creepy to the max! I watched an episode of TAPS that investigated the paranormal claims here, and weird things happened. Would you visit The Island of Dolls? I'm opting out of this location because it's to creepy for me.




Spook factor: 5
Intrigue factor:2
Beauty factor: 1

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, now that is spooky. Thanks for sharing :D

Crystal Collier said...

Cemeteries I'll do, no questions asked. Creek dolls? *shudders* Sad truth: I couldn't play with dolls as a child because my brothers told me the story of the porcelain doll when I was 2. Seriously, to this day I hate being in the same room with a doll.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh wow, I hate dolls in general so this totally freaked me out. I'll be avoiding this place for sure. So bizarre!

Lydia Kang said...

Spook factor is at 9 for me. Dolls freak me out!

D.G. Hudson said...

I don't think I'd go there, just to see the creep factor. Too many people dead in the same way point to a problem. If there's no tour guide, there may be a reason for that.

prerna pickett said...

that is super creepy, and I would love to go visit!

Anonymous said...

I watched an episode of Destination Truth where they did a paranormal investigation there and it was creepy. Somewhere I also have a story that set on the island - horror, naturally.

Intangible Hearts said...

Very strange but other customs are unusual too. I think Mexico is beautiful but on All Soul's Day they go nuts with the skeletons and stuff. Too creepy for me....

Valerie said...

This is possibly one of the coolest things ever... And it is now I'm my bucket list!!

Hugs!

Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

Rebeccah Giltrow said...

Wowzers, that is spooky, but also pretty intriguing :D